Friday 17 April 2009

I really shouldn't be a Manchester City Fan

But I am , because as an 8 year old I was seduced by the colour of the kit, sky blue, white and maroon, and the brilliant play of players called Bell, Lee and Summerbee.... pure and simple..that is why I have had almost 30 years of pain. It all started off so well, FA Cup winners, league cup winners,European Cup Winners Cup (for younger readers ..that was a cup for the winners of national cup competitions ), runners up in the League, and then it all went Pete Tong in 1977...and it has been a southerly facing roller coaster ride ever since.

I was born a Belfast Catholic, we are born into supporting Celtic as our Scottish team...it's just the geo-political reality, no options, no choice involved, which is fine, it still works for me...and Cliftonville as our Irish team.....again no choice.

I did get to choose my English team, my Dad was a Man United supporter and George Best was my hero and remains the only man I ever loved other than my Dad, I cried when he died....but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to choose Man United as my team....why Manchester City ?...God Knows, it would have been so easy, my three children are now all United fans, (They'll get their payback at the reading of the will)...I have lots of United friends, I worked for them as a consultant/supplier for 6-7 years but City are MY team. The blue shirt still makes my heart beat a little faster

I thought of the reasons for my choices as I sat with two of my brothers watching City beat Hamburg 2-1 lat night in the Uefa Cup quarter final, rich young athletes, international standard who can't shoot straight to save their lives... close but no cigar and I questioned again why City..?

I thought of the City "brand" as I watched our new owner's representative in the Directors box, photographed relentlessly by the snappers below, undoubtedly wondering about the strength of the business and the brand and the opportunity, when I spotted a little cameo that tied it all together. Mike Summerbee, one of the causes of my support was hosting a group of new fans from the UAE pitchside before the game, like a good matchday host, ensuring that the club photographers captured the guests' big moment and saw the excitement on their faces as they formed a team line up for photo...all good stuff, I hope they're still fans in 30 years. Part of me wanted to shout at him...it's all your fault!!!

Suddenly, the pre match hullabaloo finished, and event management hangers-on,self important tv production crews and girlies with clipboards and official jackets cleared and the whole fan thing became a reality.....it's about the guys in blue against the guys in red, on a beautiful green background and ahuge noise and the roller coaster ride begins again..

I wouldn't change it for the world.

2 comments:

  1. Good man, great piece! I better watch my back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a job writing City related articles, please contact me (editor) at Vital Man City.

    ReplyDelete